Boiling and roasting potatoes makes them extra crispy, and a bath of garlic butter never hurt anything, you know? These are the most delicious side dish or appetizer served with your favorite dip!
- 2 pounds small potatoes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup melted butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- freshly chopped parsley for serving
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with cold salted water. Bring to a boil and boil uncovered for 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and scatter on a large baking sheet to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Place a second baking sheet on top of the potatoes and press down all over to smash the potatoes to about 1/2 inch thick. Drizzle the potatoes with the olive oil and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt and lots of pepper.
- Roast the potatoes for 40 minutes until browned and crispy at the edges. Meanwhile, combine the garlic with the melted butter.
- When the potatoes have roasted, remove them from the oven and drizzle all over with the garlic butter. Return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven when they are crispy at the edges and soft in the center. Taste and add more salt if you'd like. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve!
Your potatoes may be smaller or larger and need different boiling times - if you have very teeny potatoes, boil for 10 minutes then test for doneness. The potatoes should be fork-tender but not mushy.
For prep, feel free to boil and smash the potatoes in advance, then roast right before serving. The boiled potatoes will keep in the fridge, covered, for a day or two.
To make these vegan, sub vegan butter or use all olive oil in place of the butter.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: potatoes, side dishes, gluten free side dishes, garlic butter, potato recipes, crispy smashed potatoes, garlic butter sauce