Crispy tofu fried in a spicy peanut sauce that doubles as a dressing for cabbage or any green stuff you like. Serve with rice for a completely delicious vegan rice bowl dinner!
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 piece fresh ginger, about 1/4 inch long
Crispy Tofu Bowls
- 1 brick tofu, cut into cubes
- 3 cups shredded cabbage or other greens of choice
- cooked white rice
- cilantro leaves or lime wedges for serving
- Make the sauce by combining all ingredients in a blender until very smooth. If the dressing is thicker than you'd like it to be, add a tablespoon of water at a time and blend again until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Add the tofu to a large nonstick skillet in a single layer with a drizzle of oil. Lightly fry the tofu over medium or medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes until the liquid from the tofu has evaporated and the sides of the tofu are golden brown. Stir/flip the tofu every 5 minutes or so during this time, being careful to not let it burn.
- While the tofu is cooking, cook the rice (if not already) and drizzle a few tablespoons of the peanut sauce over the greens. Toss to combine and let sit while you finish the tofu.
- When the tofu is browned, add 1/4 cup of the peanut sauce to the skillet. Stir to coat the tofu in the peanut sauce and let it cook, sizzle, and crisp for about 2 minutes.
- Serve the crispy peanut tofu over the rice and with the cabbage (or greens) with cilantro, extra peanut sauce, and lime wedges. YUM.
This peanut sauce recipe will make about 2x what you need for this dinner, which serves 2 generously. It stores great in the fridge for a week or more.
Gluten free if you sub soy sauce for Tamari and check all other ingredient labels.
Use any greens you like! I have used lettuce, kale, bok choy, and sliced raw brussels and all are delicious.
Keywords: peanut tofu, sesame peanut sauce, crispy tofu, tofu bowl, tofu buddha bowl, tofu bowl recipe, Thai peanut sauce, thai peanut sauce recipe, pan fried tofu, pan fried tofu with thai peanut sauce