A quick and easy weeknight dinner, pasta with peas and white wine garlic cream sauce! This dish is completely customizable, feel free to use any green veggies you have on hand!
So, you might have noticed that on this website we have a severe lack of recipes with little green peas.
Because I'm allergic to them and also I don't like them.
BUT, last weekend I went away for work, and before I left I wanted to make Jay some food. I wanted to make him something that he doesn't get often, and I've been seeing recipes using fresh peas all over the place recently since it's an ingredient that is in season. SO, I made a big batch of this super flavorful, simple pasta. It takes MAYBE 20 minutes to make, and has crazy flavor.
And if you hate peas? No worries. You can skip them altogether or sub another green veg like chopped zucchini, asparagus tips, even some spinach stirred in right at the end! The point is to use any veggies that you have and love, and go from there.
More Easy Vegetarian Recipe Ideas
Easy Weeknight Pasta
For this pasta dinner, you'll need some fettuccine (or any long pasta!) green peas, green beans, garlic, butter, lemon zest, cream, and salt and pepper. Really easy stuff, but when the flavors come together this is super delicious.
For veg prep, we'll need to mince the garlic and cut the green beans into bite-sized pieces. While you're doing that, preheat a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta and veggies.
Now, in a large skillet, add the butter and garlic over medium heat. Let that heat through gently and start to cook while the pasta cooks.
When the pasta water boils, add the pasta and cook it for as long as the package says. BUT, 2 minutes before you need to drain it add the peas and green beans, and ladle out a cup or so of the cooking water for the sauce in case we need it - just keep it in a mug next to the skillet. When you have the water reserved and the pasta is cooked with the veggies, drain them.
Then, add the pasta and veggies to the skillet with the butter and garlic! Pour in the cream...
...then zest the lemon directly over the skillet with a small grater or zester.
Now, just use tongs to toss everything together and taste the pasta. Add a little cooking water from the pasta to thin the sauce, and as much salt and pepper as you'd like.
YUM let's always make pasta with peas. I topped this with parmesan, but another crumbly cheese or some fresh herbs would be delicious too.
The simplicity of this fast pasta dinner is what makes it perfect for spring, and I PROMISE you'll love this, pea-hater or not.
A super quick pasta dinner with any veggies you have on hand!
- 8 ounces fettucini or other long pasta
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 cup green beans or haricots vert, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup heavy cream
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grated parmesan cheese, optional, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta with salt. When the water boils, add the pasta and cook as the package directs. 2 minutes before you drain the pasta, add the peas and green beans for the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain the pasta and the vegetables together.
- Meanwhile, preheat a skillet to medium heat with the butter and garlic. When the garlic is fragrant, after about 2 minutes, add the pasta, veggies, lemon zest, cream, and half the pasta water. Toss together and taste; add salt and pepper to your preference. If the sauce is thick, add more pasta water.
- Serve with parmesan. Enjoy!
Use any veggies you like for this! Zucchini slices, asparagus, bell pepper, leeks, or scallions would all be lovely.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
Keywords: pasta with peas, pasta and peas, creamy pasta sauce