Creamy roasted garlic, creamier mashed potatoes, best EVER potato side dish, hands down. Ready for gravy, yes please!
- 2 heads garlic
- 2.5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 stick butter
- Roast the Garlic: Cut the heads of garlic in half crosswise (so you have 4 halves) and place them cut-side up on a small baking dish. Cover tightly with foil, and roast for 30 minutes at 425F. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- When the roasted garlic is cool, squish the cloves into a small dish and mash lightly with a fork to break up any large pieces of roasted garlic.
- While the garlic cools, make the mashed potatoes. Place the diced potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water by about 2 inches. Add a tablespoon or so of salt to the water to flavor the potatoes.
- Turn the heat to high to bring the water and potatoes to a boil, then boil the potatoes for 10 minutes, uncovered, until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain the cooked diced potatoes and return to the hot pot off the heat.
- Using a spoon or potato masher, add the salt, half and half, butter, and mashed roasted garlic to the cooked, drained potatoes. Combine gently and taste; add more salt until the potatoes are very flavorful or pepper if you'd like. If the potatoes are too thick, splash in more half and half or some milk until they thin out to your preferred consistency.
- Serve immediately, or keep at room temperature for a few hours until ready to serve.
Roasting the garlic can be done in advance! Simply roast, cool, and squish the cloves in to a small dish with a lid. The roasted garlic will keep in the fridge for at least 3 days.
To make these in advance, make the entire recipe then reheat gently on the stovetop in the pot, or in a bowl in the microwave. If the mashed potatoes are too thick, splash in a little bit more half and half or some milk, about 2 tablespoons at a time until the consistency is to your liking.
I use small or medium Yukon Gold potatoes for this recipe, but any kind of gold potatoes you like will be delicious in this recipe.
You can make these mashed potatoes vegan by subbing unflavored almond milk and vegan butter!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: yukon gold mashed potatoes skin on, roasted garlic potatoes, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, roasted garlic, gluten free potato recipes, how do you roast garlic