Delicious, easy homemade green bean casserole with your own creamy sauce, fresh green beans, and pan-fried shallots. This healthy version of green bean casserole is the BEST.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 pints sliced mushrooms, any kind you like
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans or haricots verts, cut into bite-sized lengths
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the shallots and cook for 5-7 minutes until slightly crispy at the edges and wilted. Remove the shallots from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of butter to the pan with the mushrooms. Cook for 5-7 minutes until wilted and browned, stirring occasionally. Add the green beans, and cook for another 7 minutes until the green beans are bright green and soft. Make a well in the center of the skillet by pushing the green beans and mushrooms to the edge, and add the final tablespoon of butter and the garlic. When the butter melts, sprinkle the flour over the whole skillet. Stir everything together to coat the green beans in the butter, garlic, and flour.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock, stirring as you do so to create a thin gravy. Stir in the soy sauce, salt, and the sour cream. Let the mixture bubble and thicken slightly. Taste the dish and add more salt and pepper to your preference.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and top with the shallots. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the green beans are soft and the casserole is bubbly. Enjoy!
Make Ahead: This can be made up to 4 days in advance and kept in the fridge - just do the very last baking step right before you'd like to serve.
Vegan: To make this vegan, use olive oil instead of the butter, vegetable stock, and vegan sour cream.
Canned Green Beans: Feel free to make this with two large (28 ounces) cans of drained green beans if you prefer.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 60
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Green Bean Casserole Without Cream of Mushroom Soup, fresh green bean casserole, healthy green bean casserole, vegan christmas recipes