- 2 cups fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- olive oil, salt, and pepper
- 3 strips bacon, cut into bits
- 1 pint fresh okra, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ears corn, kernels scraped from the cob
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or other fresh herbs
- Cook the lima beans: in a pot, cover the lima beans with water by about one inch. Cover the pot and bring the beans to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and let the beans simmer for 10-15 minutes or until just tender (don't let them get mushy!). Drain the beans until you're ready to use them.
- Roast the tomatoes: Preheat the oven to 400F. Arrange the tomatoes cut side up on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast the tomatoes for 20 minutes or until the edges are browned, then remove from the oven and set aside until ready to use.
- Start the Succotash: In a large skillet, brown the bacon bits over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet (leave the drippings) and let drain on a paper towel.
- Reduce the heat on the bacon skillet to medium, and add the lima beans and okra. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring, until the okra starts to soften, then add the corn and garlic. Keep stirring and cook for 3 more minutes. When the veggies have softened, add the bacon, tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and butter. Stir to incorporate the flavors, the taste and add salt and pepper to your preference.
- Serve warm or cold topped with fresh herbs. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Serving Size: 4