The best ever hibachi steak with homemade white sauce! This entire meal comes together in about half an hour and tastes just like restaurant hibachi steak.
Hibachi White Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I love Japanese mayo for this)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha or other hot sauce (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak, cubed
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- White Sauce: Combine all ingredients together and taste: add more hot sauce if you'd like. This gets better as it sits and can be done a few days in advance as part of your meal prep!
- Steak: Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat for at least 5 minutes with a drizzle of oil - it should be very hot but not smoking. Sprinkle the steak cubes (1 inch or slightly less) all over with salt and pepper.
- When the skillet is very hot, add the steak in one layer and let cook undisturbed for 1-2 minutes until very brown on the first side. Flip the steak around a few times to brown on most sides, cooking quickly to avoid overcooking the steak.
- After about 4 minutes (more or less, this depends on the thickness of your steak and how hot your pan is), add the soy sauce, butter, and lemon juice to the pan. Toss everything together and turn the heat off.
- Serve with rice, white sauce, and/or hibachi vegetables. Enjoy!
Make It Gluten Free: Sub gluten free Tamari for the soy sauce and check all labels for a gluten free variation.
Feel free to use any steak you like for this! If you find a thinner steak, decrease the cooking time to be sure the steak is nicely browned but not overdone.
To time this meal quickly, I often start rice, then stir up the white sauce, THEN cook the steak while the first two items are working.
My favorite hibachi vegetables go great with this meal as well!
Extra white sauce will store in the fridge for at least a week and is a yummy vegetable dip for snacking.
Keywords: What is hibachi steak, hibachi steak marinade, hibachi steak recipe, hibachi steak, hibachi Hibachi sauce, hibachi white sauce recipe, hibachi sauce recipe