- I haven't fully figured out our menu for next week, but the late summer meals for us are involving lots of "grill whatever we have" with a blended sauce I make over the weekend, like my favorites this year, chimichurri or basil sauce. Both are delicious and keep really well in the fridge for several days.
- SIMILARLY, I read recently that if you blanch your basil and squeeze it out like spinach leaves before making pesto it preserves the color. Have you ever done this? I don't actually mind brown pesto because bruising of leaves seems kind of normal to me, but there's definitely something about bright green pesto that is so lovely, of course. It seems like an extra step, but I'm intrigued.
- Unfortunately, we are in the middle of another "thoughts and prayers" gun-control cycle with no change by our government in terms of ease of access to murder weapons. A narrative I hear/see all over the place is "well there will always be a black market for guns," and most recently "people are just making them with 3D printers!" which, maybe yes, BUT ALSO mostly shooting people with machine guns they obtain mainly legally. The fringe arguments have got to go, full stop. This article uses real science and is very no-nonsense.
- Target had 20% off books a few weeks ago when we were there (using the Cartwheel app, aka free money), and Beck was being particularly well-behaved and patient so I let her pick out a book. She used her discount wisely and got this Frozen book of stories that we LOVE. The stories are nice and short so we can read one at a time or a few, and they're just above her comprehension level so she's REALLY interested in them, asks tons of questions, and it's just all-around wonderful to see her get engaged in more complex stories. The stories are all simple and end with "with friends like these" kinds of feel-good endings, which honestly the world needs more of right now, you know? The best part of the whole thing is that it's pretty heavy, and about half the size of her literal body, so she makes me carry it around for her a lot.
- Happy Weekend! Our anniversary is tomorrow and we have no plans but we DO have a babysitter coming, so where in Greenville can we reserve a nap? We're also going to do a really intentionally fun family weekend: long walks, farmer's market, pool, lunches on patios, and parks. I'm good with that being our anniversary plan, you know?
Leave a Reply