I TOLD YOU THERE WAS A REASON TO MAKE LOTS OF POTATOES IN YOUR SLOW COOKER.
Sorry to yell. I'm just kind of obsessed.
The other day I told you how great baked potatoes turned out in the crock pot, and I'm telling you RIGHT NOW that if you make a bunch all at once then keep them wrapped in the fridge for weeknights you can have tons of fun stuffed-tater dinners in mere MOMENTS. Like this one!
I took a burger and used the potato as a bun. It was super duper delicious, and very easy to make.
You need baked potatoes, first and foremost. How you bake yours is up to you - there are a few options in the printable recipe below. Other than that, you need ground beef (it's a burger, kids) and any toppings you like! This was originally going to be Cheeseburger Baked Potatoes, and then I realized AS I WAS COOKING that I had no cheese so....dairy free! Go us. Because I'm a moron.
So, really all you need to do for this is heat up your baked potato in the microwave or oven and make the ground beef filling. Then you build your burger! For the beef, heat a pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil and add the beef. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper and break it up a bit with a spoon. You can add any other flavors you like such as onion, garlic, or Worcestershire sauce, but I like plain ground beef with all the other flavors we're using here! Break up the meat and let it sit for a few minutes at a time to get nice and crusty, then stir and keep crumbling the pieces.
I like this especially because you don't need a ton of beef like in a burger, you can pretend that the toppings are a salad, and baked potatoes are good for you when they aren't covered in butter and sour cream!
The possibilities for this, of course, are endless. I love burgers with just lettuce, tomato, pickles, and ketchup, but sriracha, mayo, blue cheese, bacon crumbles....ANYTHING, really, would be lovely with this.
- 4 whole baked potatoes, fully cooked
- ⅔ pounds ground beef
- salt and pepper
Burger toppings of your choice, ½ cup or so each
- shredded lettuce
- sliced onions
- pickle slices
- chopped tomatoes
- shredded cheddar cheese
- crumbled cooked bacon
- Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the beef with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and cook, crumbling as you go, for 10 minutes until the beef is browned, crumbled, and cooked through. Taste, and add more salt if needed.
- To assemble, split a baked potato in half and fill with ground beef. Top with any other desired toppings.
3 baking potato options
- Crock Pot: Wrap potatoes in foil, place in crock pot. Cover, and turn to low for 6-8 hours.
- Oven: Wrap potatoes in foil, bake at 425F for 1 hour until cooked through.
- Microwave: Prick potatoes all over, wrap in a damp dish towel. Microwave 15 - 25 minutes until cooked through.
- All components (potatoes, toppings, meat) can be made in advance and stored separately. Reheat the potatoes in the oven for 10 minutes at 425F and microwave the ground beef before eating.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Serving Size: 4
Shared with Weekend Potluck.