- 1 large or 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 2 pieces flatbread, about 7 inches diameter each
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup sharp white cheddar, grated
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup watercress or other greens
- In a small skillet, add the onion, olive oil, salt, and crushed red pepper. Turn the heat to low, and let the onions very slowly cook for 30-45 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until the onions are very dark brown and soft but not black at the edges.
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Build the flatbreads by layering each with half the apple butter, onions, walnuts, apple slices, sharp cheddar, and blue cheese crumbles. Place on a baking sheet, and bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly. Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then cut into wedges, top with the watercress, and serve!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 60
- Serving Size: 4