Super easy kimchi fried rice that is buttery, spicy, and done in just ten minutes! This fried rice is gluten free and tastes just like restaurant fried rice.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or light olive oil
- 3 cups leftover cold rice
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup chopped kimchi, plus some juice from the jar
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Soy sauce and/or salt, to taste
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet with the vegetable oil to medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the rice to the skillet and stir it a few times to heat through and toast the rice slightly.
- Add the kimchi and 2 tablespoons of the juice from the jar and stir to coat. Between each stir, let the rice sit to brown a bit on the bottom.
- Scoot the rice to the side of the pan and crack the eggs right in the center. Quickly scramble the eggs, mixing them into the rice as you go.
- Taste the rice and add dashes of soy sauce and sprinkles of salt until the rice is very flavorful – at least ½ teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons soy sauce, probably more depending on your taste.
- When the rice is crispy in some places stir in the butter and scallions. Serve immediately.
I keep fresh ginger in my freezer, then grate a little at a time (peel and all!) with a Microplane when I use it. It grates really easily and nothing goes to waste!
Once the skillet is hot for the rice, this entire dish really moves quickly. I like to prep the salmon sauce, then all of the ingredients for the rice. Then, while the salmon broils, I quickly fry the rice and everything is done at the same time!
This is delicious with baked tofu!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10