- 1 whole roasting chicken, 3-4 pounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves peeled garlic
- 2 large potatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 large or 8 small carrots, cut into chunks if desired
- 1 whole large or 2 small onions, cut into large wedges
- Preheat the oven to 450F. In a large roasting pan with a rack, scatter the onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, and lemon slices. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place the roasting rack over the veggies.
- Use a paper towel to pat the chicken dry inside and out. Sprinkle inside and out liberally with salt, and tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Place the chicken on the rack over the veggies.
- Roast the chicken and veggies for 50 - 60 minutes until the skin is crispy and internal temperature is 160-165F. Let rest for at least 15 minutes then gently carve. Serve the chicken with the veggies and any pan drippings.
- Prepare a paper towel, cut the twine, and put some salt in a small dish before you start working with the chicken to prevent contamination.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 60
- Serving Size: 6