- FOR THE SOUP
- 1 large carrot or 1 handful baby carrots, cut into a large dice
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or pimenton
- salt, to taste
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock, plus more if needed
- 1/4 cup sliced toasted almonds
- 4 dollops creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- FOR THE SHRIMP
- 1/2 pound peeled, deveined shrimp
- 1 tablespoon butter
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- salt, to taste
- Preheat a soup pot to medium-high heat. Add the carrot, celery, and onion with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes to soften slightly, then add the pimenton, garlic, and a sprinkle of salt. Cook for 2 more minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and the chicken stock, then cover and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat, and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are very soft. Add the almonds to the soup. Using an immersion blender or regular blender or food processor, puree the soup until very smooth. Taste, and salt to your preference.
- While the soup is simmering, bring a skillet to medium-high heat with the butter. When the butter foams and browns, add the shrimp in 1 layer and let cook for 2 minutes until browned. Flip, and turn off the heat. Sprinkle the shrimp with the lemon zest, a bit of lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- To serve, dollop creme fraiche on the soup, then top with some of the shrimp and cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
- Vegetarian if you omit the shrimp, vegan if you omit the shrimp and creme fraiche.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Serving Size: 4