It's a great day for soup! It's been kind of weird and cloudy and off and on stormy here, and so even though it's summer it's also FREEZING everywhere I go so....soup? Hurray for wasting money due to modern technology? I like to be warm, is my point.
Hence, this soup! The flavors are epic, the ingredients are simple, and we add almonds to the soup before we puree it to make it creamy without any dairy which is just GREAT. Smoked paprika really makes the flavor of the soup, and if you don't own any I'd basically just suggest buying some. BUT if you don't really want to spend money then just ignore me and use regular paprika or nothing. I'll never know!
Let's make soup. You just need onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and canned diced tomatoes. You also need chicken stock, almonds, butter, a lemon, creme fraiche, cherry tomatoes, and shrimp. Easy stuff, and don't go nuts and buy expensive shrimp unless you just really want to.
...and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat a bit, and let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes until the veggies are totally soft. If the pot has a lid, cover the soup. If not, you may need to add a bit more chicken stock as the soup reduces.
Now, we're ready to serve! Scoop out bowls of the soup, then put a dollop of creme fraiche right on top. It'll melt and swirl in and be all pretty. Top THAT with some of the shrimp, tomatoes, and extra lemon zest, and we're ready to eat!
Spanish Style Tomato Soup + Brown Butter Lemon Shrimp
- FOR THE SOUP
- 1 large carrot or 1 handful baby carrots cut into a large dice
- ½ large onion diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika or pimenton
- salt to taste
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock plus more if needed
- ¼ cup sliced toasted almonds
- 4 dollops creme fraiche
- ¼ cup diced cherry tomatoes
- FOR THE SHRIMP
- ½ pound peeled deveined shrimp
- 1 tablespoon butter
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- salt to taste
- Preheat a soup pot to medium-high heat. Add the carrot, celery, and onion with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes to soften slightly, then add the pimenton, garlic, and a sprinkle of salt. Cook for 2 more minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and the chicken stock, then cover and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat, and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are very soft. Add the almonds to the soup. Using an immersion blender or regular blender or food processor, puree the soup until very smooth. Taste, and salt to your preference.
- While the soup is simmering, bring a skillet to medium-high heat with the butter. When the butter foams and browns, add the shrimp in 1 layer and let cook for 2 minutes until browned. Flip, and turn off the heat. Sprinkle the shrimp with the lemon zest, a bit of lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- To serve, dollop creme fraiche on the soup, then top with some of the shrimp and cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
- Vegetarian if you omit the shrimp, vegan if you omit the shrimp and creme fraiche.