- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2/3 pound steak, about 1 inch thick, any kind that you like
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small dish, combine all the spices with your fingers. Taste the mixture, and add more salt if you'd like.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the steak on all sides. Let the steak rest on the counter while you preheat a cast iron or heavy skillet to medium-high heat. When the skillet is very hot, add the butter and let it foam and brown, then add the steak.
- Cook the steak for about 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare, adjusting the time to cook the steak to your preference. Only turn the steak once, this will allow the spices to get crusty and cook into the meat.
- When the meat is done, let it rest on a cutting board for 15-20 minutes, then thinly slice it. Save any juices that run out and pour over the steak before serving.
- Serve with your favorite Mexican-style meal. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 8
- Serving Size: 2