Since it's Friday but also the day after Thanksgiving and Jay's birthday, we're going to talk about that guy today. The list of things I'm thankful for about him is really long, much longer than 5, but these are a few of the recent highlights.
- The humor never stops. The other day he presented me with "I forgot to wash my beard properly and it's filled with dried soap and it's like I've got the worst face dandruff ever. Are these dad problems?" over gchat in the middle of a workday.
- He has taken to calling me Big Mama or Bigfatpregnantlady, all in one breath, which I find amazing. This might not always be something cute and to be thankful for, but the fact that he's in this whole preggo thing with me, even the grody stuff, is great. I also think it's a good sign for our marriage that I like being called fat by him? Only him, though. And, you should SEE him explaining to other soon-to-be-dads (we have 3 close friends right now who are about 20 weeks pregnant) what to expect at the birth from what he learned in birth class. It's nothing short of incredible to hear 1. what he absorbed and 2. how he puts it into his own words. I wish I had a video of it for you.
- Uncling is something Jay shines at. Of course parenthood will be different because there's lots more mundane/boring/unpleasant stuff that comes with parenting, so getting to just LOVE on kids is so fun to watch with our niece and nephew. They adore him right back, and the squeals of delight are just the most fun when they're all together.
- When Jay found out that Heather and I were going to take maternity pics, I presented like "I'm going to do this but I know it's Sunday and don't worry you can have the TV all day since I'll be gone." And he was offended because he wanted to be in the pictures. And good thing, because he's much cuter than I am.
- I don't like when people say "I love him more, thanks pregnancy hormones!" because it makes it sound like you really don't love that person any more, like taking a drug makes you want to sleep with someone you totes don't like. This isn't that. But, since being pregnant, I like I'm more aware of the things that I already loved about Jay. We have had so much fun planning and talking hypotheticals and not picking names, and it's been such a fun partnery thing in the most cliche sense of the word. We're both excited and scared and can't-wait-but-what-will-we-do for the actual kid to be here, but this newfound adoration that we've built for each other this year has got to be a good start in a challenge like this.
Happy birthday, husband! You are the most wonderful. And also funny.
Leave a Reply