Ham and Swiss meatballs with lean ground chicken! Yum, yum, YUM.
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 6 ounces grated swiss cheese
- 6 ounces ham, sliced or leftover from holidays, diced
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Mustard Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mustard, the grainiest/fanciest you have
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the meatballs, preheat the oven to 400F and prepare a baking sheet with a baking rack inside for cooking. For less mess, place a sheet of parchment paper between the baking sheet and baking rack.
- Add the ham, egg, breadcrumbs, and spices to a food processor. Blend together to form a paste, the ham should be ground similar to the chicken.
- Add the ham mixture to a large bowl with the chicken and cheese. Mix with your hands to distribute the ham into the chicken, then form into 35-40 meatballs, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place the meatballs on the baking rack inside the baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs for 22-25 minutes at 400F.
- While the meatballs are baking, combine the ingredients for the mustard sauce in a bowl. Taste, and add more salt or mustard to your preference.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and let cool for a minute or two, then serve with the sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
These can be made in advance, baked, then kept in the fridge for a few days or the freezer for several months. Bake again at 300F until the cheese is gooey, and serve with the dipping sauce.
If not using kosher salt, decrease the quantity of salt by half and taste for seasoning after the meatballs are baked.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: ground chicken meatballs, healthy chicken meatballs, chicken cordon bleu meatballs