Homemade barbecue sauce, grilled chicken, and veggie-packed pasta salad make this a perfect summer meal, and ideal for leftovers or meal prep!
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
For the Salad
- 1/2 pound short cut pasta
- 1 pound thin cut chicken breasts or tenderloins
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1/2 small lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For the BBQ sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small skillet. Bring the pan to medium heat until the sauce bubbles; stir to combine everything. Let the sauce bubble gently for 4 minutes, then turn off the heat. Taste, and adjust the seasonings to your preference. Let cool while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- For the salad, cook the pasta to al dente per the package directions and let cool while you cook the chicken and prep the veggies. For the chicken, preheat a large skillet to medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook the chicken for about 4 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through, then drizzle 2 tablespoons of the sauce into the skillet. Toss the chicken in the sauce for 1 minute, then remove to a plate. Add the corn kernels to the same skillet and toss in the chicken drippings for 3 minutes until slightly charred, then turn off the heat and let the corn cool.
- To assemble, cube the chicken. Drizzle the olive oil and lemon juice over the pasta, then toss with the veggies and herbs. Serve the pasta veggie mixture topped with a heap of chicken and extra sauce. Enjoy!
Feel free to broil or grill the chicken - any way you enjoy cooking chicken is fine!
For meal prep, I'd store the chicken/sauce and pasta salad separately, then combine right before eating.
Speed this up with your favorite bottled barbecue sauce and/or leftover chicken!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30