Oh hi, stereotypical summer meal!
I've been cooking more low carb meals recently, and a struggle I have is finding meals that feel like a whole meal, not like there SHOULD have been mashed potatoes on the side of this steak, you know?
This is that. It's the most perfectly light but complete low carb/gluten free meal, and it's full of huge flavor to boot.
Nevermind the chips in the pictures, you don't have to eat those.
We have! Grilled shrimp tossed in some of my favorite seasonings. Chunky pico de gallo with creaminess from avocado and an extra dose of healthy fats. The smoky shrimp and bright pico go SO well together in terms of contrasting flavors and textures.
One thing to note is that this meal comes together super quickly once the shrimp starts cooking, so having all of your ingredients out and ready makes everything a little bit easier.
Start by tossing the shrimp with chili powder, paprika, salt, and olive oil.
Next, chop and combine everything for the pico except for the avocado - that goes in very last so it doesn't brown.
I preheat the grill while I make the pico. I use this Staub one inside and love it.
When the grill is super hot, grill the shrimp just until they're cooked through.
These were massive shrimp, but large or even jumbo shrimp will be cooked in about 3 minutes per side depending on how hot your grill is.
When you flip the shrimp, quickly dice and stir the avocado into the pico de gallo. Then, when the shrimp is done, layer the pico on a plate with some shrimp.
Gorgeous! Bright, fresh, light, perfectly summery. We love this for lunch or dinner, and you can absolutely make a double or triple batch of the pico for chips, which are often gluten free as well.
Light, bright pico pairs so well with smoky grilled shrimp. This meal is quick, low carb, gluten free, and delicious!
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
PICO DE GALLO
- ¼ small onion, diced
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 avocado
- ⅓ cup torn cilantro leaves
- Preheat a grill to high heat. Toss the shrimp with the chili powder, paprika, salt, and olive oil.
- Start the pico: toss together all of the ingredients EXCEPT for the avocado with a few good pinches of salt. Taste and season additionally. Set aside while you grill the shrimp.
- When the grill is hot, sear the shrimp on both sides for a few minutes until just barely cooked through. Cook time will depend on the size of your shrimp, but assume about 3 minutes per side for jumbo shrimp.
- When the shrimp is cooked, quickly dice the avocado and stir it into the pico with another pinch of salt.
- Serve the shrimp over the pico for a light meal, or with chips and toothpicks as an appetizer spread. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
Keywords: shrimp, low carb, gluten free, how to grill shrimp