Guys we need to have dinner together tonight.
These are too delicious not to share, and ALSO they're quite quick to make so....perfect for days like today when we've got 9,827 things to do but still need to eat food, right?
Tell me I'm not the only one with the most insane day ever.
You just need chicken, enchilada sauce, buns, and some seasonings! Seasonings are butter, onion, garlic, jalapeno (skip it if you don't like spicy), cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder. Easy! Usually I use salt with the 4 above spices to make taco seasoning, but I skipped it here since the enchilada sauce is pretty salty.
First, preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat with the butter.
Add the chicken, and sprinkle the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder right over top. We'll cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side until it's browned and delicious and cooked.
While the chicken is cooking, chop the onion...
Now, remove the chicken to a plate to cool and add the onion and pepper. Reduce the heat on the pan to medium. Stir the veg around in the chicken drippings for FLAVOR, BABY.
Cook the onion with the jalapeno for about 3 minutes until the onion starts to soften, then add the garlic and cook for one minute more. Now, enchilada sauce! Add it to the veggies, and stir everything together. You can taste the sauce to see if you'd like to add salt or hot sauce if you're into spicy stuff. Turn the sauce off at this point.
The chicken should have cooled by now! Use forks or your fingers to shred the chicken into little bits.
Add the chicken back to the still-warm sauce...
...and stir everything together! Look how delicious and sloppy this looks!
Now, I like to serve this really simply just with chopped raw onion. You can add anything you like, though! Cilantro, lettuce, cheese, lime wedges....anything that sounds delicious to you.
These are absolutely delicious, and so fun for a weeknight meal that's fast and easy but still kind of summery and fun. It's a tall order for a dinner, but these joes are your guys if you're looking for all of the above!
Make. Eat. Enjoy.Print
Chicken Enchilada Sloppy Joes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3-4 medium pieces of meat)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can red enchilada sauce
- sandwich buns, for serving
- optional toppings: chopped onion, cheese, cilantro - sky's the limit!
- Preheat a large skillet to medium-high heat with the butter. Add the chicken and sprinkle evenly with the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion. Cook the chicken for about 5 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate to cool, then shred into large pieces.
- When the chicken is out of the skillet, reduce the heat to medium and add the onion and jalapeno. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring, until the onion has softened slightly, then add the garlic and cook for one minute more. Pour the enchilada sauce into the veggies, then return the shredded cooked chicken to the skillet.
- Stir everything together and taste; add salt if you'd like.
- Serve the chicken on buns with any toppings you'd like. Yum!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Serving Size: 4
Leave a Reply