- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup uncooked wild or brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock (or more depending on the brand of rice that you're using, follow package directions)
- 1 pint sliced fresh mushrooms, your choice
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups broccoli, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat a large ovenproof skillet to medium-high heat, and preheat the oven to 400F. Add the pine nuts to the skillet and toast just until fragrant, for about 3 minutes. Turn the skillet off.
- Add the rice, stock, mushrooms, and garlic to the skillet. Stir to combine, and sprinkle lightly with salt, especially if you're using homemade or unsalted stock.
- Sprinkle the chicken and the broccoli over the rice mixture.
- Combine the cheese, sour cream, and cream to form a thick sauce. Drizzle or drop spoonfuls of the sauce over the broccoli - the sauce may not cover the whole skillet, that's ok!
- Bake the dish for 30-45 minutes until the liquids are absorbed and the rice is tender. If the dish starts to brown on top before the rice is cooked, tent lightly with foil to finish cooking.
- Serve. Eat. Enjoy!
- This is a great useup for leftover chicken, or cook your own! Rotisserie chicken is fabulous in this dish as well.
- My rice called for 2 1/3 cups of stock for 1 cup of rice, but I decreased it just slightly to 2 cups of stock due to the liquid in the mushrooms and broccoli that also help cook the rice.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Serving Size: 6