- 1 pound bulk spicy sausage
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- salt, as needed
- 28 ounces canned whole tomatoes in their juices
- 12 ounces prepared gnocchi
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- parmesan, optional, for serving
- For the sauce, add the sausage to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the sausage, breaking up with a spoon as you go, for 7-10 minutes until browned, crumbly, and cooked through.
- To the sausage, add the garlic, rosemary, crushed red pepper, and a sprinkle of salt. Stir into the sausage for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped kale and stir to wilt the kale into the sausage mixture. Then, add the tomatoes and their juices, crushing the tomatoes in your hand as you add them. Stir the sauce together and taste; add salt or more crushed red pepper to your preference. Let the sauce simmer over medium-low while you prepare the gnocchi.
- While the sauce simmers, boil the gnocchi to package directions and drain. In a separate skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. When the butter foams, swirl it in the pan until brown bits form on the bottom of the skillet, then add the gnocchi with salt and pepper. Toss the gnocchi for 3 minutes in the browned butter.
- To serve, make a bed of the sausage sauce. Top with a mound of gnocchi and some parmesan, if you'd like. Devour immediately.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Serving Size: 4