The best homemade mocktail for summer! Homemade watermelon water (or watermelon juice) blended with lime and fresh mint is the most refreshing, hydrating, electrolyte-packed drink to sip on. It's a homemade agua fresca in 15 minutes, done and done!
For summer! A drink. A refreshing drink.
I loathe the Starbucks refreshers. I realize that's a harsh word considering I've never actually had one, but I can all but guarantee they're full of sugar and also refresh isn't a noun and shouldn't be made into one. Is my opinion.
But! This blended watermelon drink is actually refreshing. It is incredibly light, incredibly quick to throw together, and so very good for you.
I first had this years ago at the yoga studio where I worked; we called it watermelon tonic and it appeared all summer every summer. Watermelon and lime are a great combination, the ingredients are good and good for you, and fresh mint just screams summer to me.
You need! Watermelon chunks and juice (like....the juice from the bottom of the container). Maybe some water to smooth things out. A lime (don't mind this sad guy, he was zested for something else), and fresh mint.
If you don't have a ton of juice in the bottom of a container of watermelon (happens when the watermelon has been cut for a few days and maybe isn't perfect anymore), use a half cup of plain water to make 2 cups total of watermelon cubes and liquid.
Tips and Notes
- This is great and feels fancy for people who choose not to drink alcohol. You could double or triple or quadruple the batch and no one would be mad.
- This is a great useup for sad watermelon that accidentally got frozen in the back of the fridge, then thawed, and is now the texture of ... raw liver? Sad clown face, works great in the blender.
- I love making this advance and keeping it in the fridge in mason jars. It will settle and separate a little bit, so give it a shake before you serve it. I love it alone, but over ice is really delicious as well!
- If you prefer sweeter mocktails, add a bit of sugar, honey, or agave to the blender when you make this.
- If you do want to add some alcohol to this, about 2 ounces of a clear liquor (vodka, rum, gin) would work well to make 2 strong drinks or 4 weaker drinks out of this.
- For a slushy version, freeze the watermelon cubes in advance, then blend. VERY YUM.
This is summer. Whee!Print
This non-alcoholic watermelon lime tonic comes together in just a minute in the blender and is so perfect for summer.
- 2 cups watermelon chunks and juice (about half of each, top off with some regular water if needed)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 sprig fresh mint leaves
- Combine all ingredients in a blender until very smooth. Serve over ice and drink immediately.
- PS vodka never hurt anything. Or rum.
I love this as-is, but for a slushy version you could freeze watermelon cubes in advance OR blend this as written with some ice cubes.
Keeps in the fridge for about 4 days. It will settle and separate a bit; just give it a stir before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Watermelon tonic, watermelon water, watermelon juice, watermelon mocktail, watermelon drink,
This recipe was originally published in June 2017 and has been updated with new instructions and tips for making this watermelon water perfectly every time.