I know, blegh, right?
No. Not right. Vegan food can be delicious!
This weekend in NYC I saw one of my best friends from college, Lauren. She recently has undergone some healthier-lifestyle changes, and one of them is eating vegan whenever she can. She went on and on about how she felt great, and she LOOKED really great.
I'd been thinking about sharing some vegan ideas with you for some time, so this seemed like a great opportunity!
To be clear, I don't necessarily advocate for a totally vegan diet. I think that it can be really challenging to get the right mix of proteins that can be easily attained from consuming animal products, and malnutrition can sneak up on folks who try this eating style really quickly.
That being said, vegan meals a few times a week can be GREAT- like a cleanse, but not in a moronic way.
Not that cleanses aren't great....they just aren't for me.
So, to kick the week off, I want to show you some recipes I use on the reg that are ALREADY vegan - no adjustments necessary. Then, as the week goes on, I'll show you how to veganize some other FunnyLove favorites, and teach you some new recipes in this genre!
I'm giving a few options in different parts of a meal so that you can MAKE A WHOLE VEGAN MEAL if you want. Do you want to do that? Then, try these:
- Boiled Peanuts - delicious, easy, and healthy. Check the Worcestershire label, though - they make a vegan version, but not all versions are vegan!
- Rosted Tomatoes - I go on and on and ON about these, and for good reason. They're delicious, easy, and VEGAN! I'm actually making them on Saturday for a potluck with my bffs.
- Hummus - Or edamame hummus, or sundried tomato hummus....lots of versions of this tasty snack are vegan, and they all have lots of protein and great flavor. I love the mint in the edamame version linked above.
- Grilled Tofu - tofu is a great go-to for all things vegan, and this Asian-style version is SO delicious.
- Pasta with Kale - don't use the anchovy paste. Sub 2 drops of soy sauce, and you'll never miss it! Obviously, no cheese on top. 🙂
- Spinach Chick Pea Curry - use veggie stock, and check your curry blend to be sure it's vegan.
- Asian-style Salad - use lots of veggies and serve rice and/or tofu on the side for a complete dinner!
- Arugula-herb Salad - so delicious and simple!
- Strawberry Cucumber Salad
OTHER RANDOM THINGS THAT ARE YUMMY
- Dijon Vinaigrette - I love this on salads, but it's great on slightly cooled pasta and potatoes, too!
- Homemade Vegetable Stock - great to keep on hand for use in recipes that call for chicken stock.
- Black Bean Salsa - check the salad dressing label to be sure it's vegan - it should be!
So there you go, friends. Easy things that already vegan - no adjustments required. I'm working on some adjustments that you can make to ANY recipes to keep 'em vegan, but I really want to know:
What do YOU want to learn how to make vegan? Got any favorites? Anything I should try? I'm new to the vegan thing, so help a girl out, please and thank you!
In comments, Facebook, email, whatever....I need your help!
Over and out.
Vegan Lasagna, ready. . . .go
Word!!!! Vegan food can be just as satisfying and tasty as any other dish. I've recently converted (though not strict because I do have cheese from time to time) and am having a blast exploring new and exciting dishes. Love your posts!