Super flavorful pasta salad that is totally vegan! Easy to make in advance and versatile; use any pasta or veggies you have on hand. The perfect side dish for all summer long!
- 8 ounces short pasta, cooked to al dente in salted water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow squash, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves or other herbs
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced (about 1/4 cup lemon juice)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- black pepper
- Note: For timing, I usually start the water to boil for the pasta, then broil the veggies and make the dressing while the veggies are broiling and the pasta is boiling. When I do it that way, this pasta salad is done in about 45 minutes.
- Dressing: Shake all ingredients together in a jar or whisk together in a bowl. Taste, and add more salt, sugar, or pepper if you'd like. Set aside until ready to use.
- Pasta Salad: Preheat the broiler and arrange the veggies on a sheet pan. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with salt. Broil the veggies for 5-10 minutes about 8 inches away from the broiler until slightly charred in places.
- Allow the cooked, drained pasta and the broiled veggies to cool for 5-10 minutes, if you have time.
- To assemble, add the pasta, veggies, pine nuts, and basil to a large bowl. Pour over about half of the dressing and stir to combine. Taste, and add more dressing to your preference.
- Serve immediately or chill covered. Right before serving, season additionally with a little more dressing, pepper, and more herbs, if you'd like. Enjoy!
Mix it up! Use any nuts, veggies, fresh herbs, or pasta shape you like. This is a great use-up for small amounts of ingredients, and can be different each time.
The dressing for this is fairly salty as it's going to be flavoring lots of pasta and veggies. Don't stress if tasting the dressing on its own is very salty.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Side
- Method: Broil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan pasta salad, vegan pasta salad recipe, pasta salad vegan