- 4 burrito-sized tortillas
- 2 links Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, or chorizo, casings removed
- 1 cup half and half
- 5 eggs
- Mexican-style hot sauce, to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- fresh avocado, cilantro, and fruit, optional for serving
- In an oven-proof skillet about the same size as the tortillas, cook and crumble the sausage over medium-high heat until browned. Remove the sausage from the skillet and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, half and half, and as much hot sauce as you'd like to form a custard.
- Assemble the casserole: In the skillet you used to cook the sausage, layer a tortilla, 1/3 of the sausage, a small handful of cheese, and a bit of the custard mixture. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, using all the sausage but saving some custard and some cheese for the very top of the casserole. After the 4th tortilla has been placed over the sausage, pour the rest of the custard over the casserole and top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover the casserole tightly with foil and place in the fridge overnight if not baking immediately.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400F and bake the casserole for 30 minutes covered, then remove the foil and bake for 10-15 minutes more until the casserole is set. Let the casserole rest out of the oven for 10 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve.
- If you don't have an oven-proof skillet, just cook the sausage separately and layer the casserole in a round baking dish.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 40
- Serving Size: 6