- 1 pint tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed (about 14 small tomatillos)
- 1 bell pepper, halved, seeds removed
- 1 jalapeno or other hot pepper, halved, seeds removed
- 1/2 onion, cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- olive oil for cooking
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- lime wedges, shredded cabbage, and extra cilantro for serving
- Make the tomatillo sauce. Preheat the oven to 425 F and arrange the tomatillos, onion chunks, and pepper pieces on a small baking sheet. Roast for 40 minutes until wilted and browned. When the veggies have cooked, transfer to a food processor with the cilantro, garlic, olive oil, lime juice, and salt. Blend to combine, leaving some chunks of veggies. Taste the sauce and add more salt to your preference.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice to package directions with the stock and cook the chicken. Preheat a skillet to medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Combine the spices in a small dish with your fingers. When the skillet is hot, add the chicken in one layer to the skillet and sprinkle all over with the spice mixture, using it all up.
- Cook the chicken for about 6 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate to cool and turn the heat off the skillet (we'll use it to finish the sauce in a minute, don't wipe it out). When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred to bite-sized pieces.
- Add the chicken and tomatillo mixture back to the skillet over medium heat. Let come to a bubble and taste for seasoning, add more salt to your preference.
- Serve the chicken mixture over the rice topped with shredded cabbage, extra cilantro, and a spritz of lime juice. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour