- FOR THE SOUP
- 2 large chicken breasts, frozen or thawed
- 8 cups water
- FOR THE RICE
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- FOR TOPPING
- pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- chopped raw onion
- diced raw tomato
- diced avocado
- chopped cilantro leaves
- lime wedges
- For the broth, place the chicken in the water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and boil gently for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the cooking liquid, shred with two forks, then return to the broth.
- For the rice, combine all ingredients in a pot with a lid with water for cooking per the package instructions. Cover the rice and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked through. Taste, and add salt to your preference.
- To serve, spoon some rice in a bowl. Top with chicken, broth, and a spoonful of pureed chipotle - as much as you'd like for spice and flavor! Stir together to mix the peppers into the soup.
- Top the soup with any of the garnishes that you like, and squeeze lime juice over the whole thing before eating. Enjoy!
- You can use any kind of chicken you want - boneless, not, skinless, not, etc. Boil it as per the instructions until fully cooked, then just remove any skin/fat/bones before shredding and returning to the broth.
- For the rice, if you don't have chicken bouillon, sub chicken stock for the water to cook the rice.
- Serving Size: 4