- FOR THE TOFU DOGS
- 1 brick tofu, cut into 1-inch square sticks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ice water
- vegetable oil or other light oil, for frying
- 2 hot dog buns, toasted
- FOR THE DRIZZLE
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon spicy chili oil
- FOR THE SLAW
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 scallion, sliced or cut into strips
- 1 small kirby cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oil: add 2 inches of oil to a heavy bottomed skillet or pot over medium-high heat. Heat to 375F or until a sprinkle of flour sizzles in the oil.
- Make the drizzle: combine all ingredients in a jar or bowl, and shake or whisk to combine. Taste, and adjust the seasoning any way you like by adding more of the ingredients.
- Make the slaw: Combine the sugar and rice vinegar until the sugar dissolves, then add the carrot, scallion, and cucumber. Stir together and let sit while you fry the tofu.
- Make the batter: Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and ice water until just combined - it's OK if the batter is lumpy and there are a few ice cubes in the batter. The batter should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Dip the tofu sticks in the tempura batter, and gently place in the hot oil. The tofu should sizzle right away. Fry the tofu in batches, just a few at a time, until golden and crispy, then remove to paper towels to drain while you fry the rest of the tofu.
- To assemble, layer tofu and some of the drizzle on hot dog buns. Stir the cilantro into the slaw and serve on top of the tofu dogs. Serve with Sriracha or other hot sauce, if you'd like.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 5
- Serving Size: 2