I had almost forgotten about this one.
But! Earlier this week Jay asked for a southern-but-healthy meal because we had some okra and other veggies to use up, and I was all....healthy within reason. Moderation in moderation and all that.
So I busted out this old recipe because I had a box of Jiffy in the cabinet, and WOW am I glad I did. My bff shared this recipe with me years ago, and every once in awhile we remember it and make it and celebrate.
I'm almost thinking this is an addition to your Thanksgiving table, but that just might be crazy talk.
Try it, devour it, crumble it up for your 10-month old. Don't delay!
- 2 boxes of Jiffy
- ¼ cup of half and half
- ¼ cup of water
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces of cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 4 - 6 ounces cheddar, grated
- ¾ stick of butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large head of broccoli, diced
- Olive oil for sautéing
- Heat oven to 375 and preheat a skillet to medium heat with olive oil. Melt the butter in the microwave with the water. Sautee onions, garlic, and broccoli in the olive oil for 5 - 10 minutes until softened.
- Mix the Jiffy, half and half, water, cottage cheese, eggs, salt, cheddar and melted butter together in a big bowl—you can leave out some of the cheddar to sprinkle on the top later, or you can just grate more cheddar for the top.
- Add the broccoli/onion combo to the batter and mix that up, and then pour it into your baking dish—9x13 or equivalent. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until golden on top and a toothpick or fork inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 5 - 10 minutes before slicing and serving. May be made a day or two in advance and kept covered.
- Serving Size: 10