The best easy, delicious summery side dish! Cool cukes, sweet strawberries, and tangy quick pickled white onions work together to make this a seriously delicious salad.
Pickled White Onions
- 1/2 white or sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Strawberry Cucumber Salad
- 1 pint strawberries, halved or quartered to bite-sized
- 3 small (Persian or pickling) cucumbers, sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (see note)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Flaky salt and pepper, for topping
- Whisk the salt and sugar into the hot water until dissolved.
- Stir in the onions and vinegar.
- Let the onions sit for at least 15 minutes or up to a week in the pickling liquid.
- Use as you'd like, draining the pickled onions before using.
- Layer the strawberries and cucumbers evenly in a shallow serving dish.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle evenly with the pickled onions and dill.
- Top with lots of flaky salt and pepper and serve alongside your favorite summer dinner. Enjoy!
Cucumbers: Feel free to use any cucumber you like in this recipe; we're going for about the same amount of chopped cucumbers as strawberries.
Herbs: I love dill on this salad, but fresh basil, chives, and mint are also delicious!
The pickled onions are delicious on other salads, tacos, and rice bowls. Use extras on dinners and snacks all week long!
Leftovers of this salad are OK for a day, but this salad is best eaten fresh.
Gluten free and Vegan as written.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry cucumber salad, pickled white onions, pickled white onions recipe, cucumber and strawberry salad