THE BEST tofu steak of your life, promise. Quickie marinade, pan-seared, and a homemade tofu steak sauce to bring us home. Make these asap!
- 1 brick tofu, cut into 6 slices crosswise (14 ounces or so)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- If times allows, press the whole tofu block between two plates with a weight on top (something like a can of food) for about an hour before beginning. Discard any liquid, then cut the tofu into planks and proceed with the recipe.
- Marinate: Whisk together the Worcestershire, syrup, soy sauce, and vinegar in a shallow dish. Submerge the tofu pieces in the marinade; turning once to coat on both sides. Marinated for 20-60 minutes, flipping the tofu about halfway through the time.
- Remove the tofu steaks from the marinade to a plate. Sprinkle on both sides with the steak seasoning. RESERVE THE MARINADE.
- Preheat a skillet to medium heat with the oil and butter. Place the steaks in the skillet and sear gently for about 7 minutes on each side until very golden brown on the outsides. Flip about every 4 minutes. The browning will take some time as some of the tofu liquid evaporates; resist the urge to turn up the heat - you don't want to burn the spices.
- Sauce: Meanwhile, transfer the reserved marinade to a small COLD pan and whisk in 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch. Turn the heat to medium and allow the sauce to come to a bubble and thicken. Transfer to a small dish to serve with the tofu steaks.
- Serve the tofu steaks drizzled with the steak sauce and any side dishes you enjoy. Yum!
Tofu: Tofu is generally sold in 14 ounces bricks, some vary by a few ounces. Anything in the 12-16 ounce range will work for this recipe. Choose firm or extra firm.
Make this vegan by omitting the butter and using all oil instead.
Make this gluten free with tamari or GF soy sauce. Be sure to check all labels!
Worcestershire sauce isn't always vegetarian due to containing fish products. If you'd like this recipe to be vegetarian or vegan, check labels carefully and purchase a vegan worcestershire sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tofu steak, marinade for tofu, sauce for tofu steaks