Yummy spring vegetable soup that can be made vegan with one quick swap! Lemony broth, fresh green stuff, chewy farro, done and done.
- 4 scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock (or veggie stock)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking farro
- 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat a soup pot to medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the white part of the scallions and the garlic. Cook for two minutes, stirring.
- Add the stock, water, and farro to the pot. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot; simmer the farro for 10 minutes until tender but not totally cooked through (more or less time based on your farro's package directions). Uncover the pot and add the asparagus and green beans. Simmer the veggies for 5-7 minutes until bright green and tender.
- Add the spinach, green parts of the scallions, lemon zest, and juice from half of the lemon to the soup. Stir to combine and taste; add salt and pepper to your preference until the soup is very flavorful.
- Cut the other half of the lemon into wedges. Serve the soup topped with the fresh herbs, a drizzle of olive oil, and extra lemon wedges. Enjoy!
This soup is dairy free. Vegan if vegetable stock is used. Adjust to your dietary needs!
Feel free to add more or less veggies, different things you enjoy, etc.
Farro is NOT gluten free, but this soup is easily made gluten free by subbing the farro for a can of lightly drained white beans. YUM.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: Broth based soups, recipes for low carb soups, low carb soup recipe, easy vegetarian soup recipes, farro soup, vegan vegetable soup, vegan soup recipes