Yummy spiced ground meat (use beef, lamb, pork, or even venison!) that goes over hummus for a protein-packed, savory appetizer or main dish. Use this for dipping, to stuff into pitas, or to make yummy grain bowls!
- 1 pound hummus (use my shortcut hummus recipe!)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons zaatar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- pita bread for serving
- TOPPINGS: Fresh mint leaves, flaky salt, olive oil, pine nuts, more zaatar
- Preheat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add the butter with a drizzle of oil and add the ground meat.
- Cook the meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go. When the meat is browned and crumbly, add the zaatar, salt cumin, and smoked paprika.
- Stir to coat the meat with the spices and let the spices toast for 2 minutes or so. Add the stock and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Allow the meat to simmer for about 10 minutes until the stock is mostly reduced - the meat should be saucy but not soupy. Taste the meat and add more salt if needed - it should taste excellent. Stir in the pine nuts and turn the heat off.
- To serve, make a bed of hummus and spoon the spiced ground meat with pine nuts right in the center. Add toppings if you'd like. Serve with pita and anything else you'd like for dipping. Enjoy!
This recipe is also a part of the larger hummus board featuring tons of other yummy things!
This recipe was inspired by the HUMMUS MEAT at 12 Chairs Cafe in Brooklyn, which I love and adore and can't wait to go back to.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
Keywords: gluten free appetizers, gluten free beef dishes, zaatar uses, hummus meat, spiced ground beef for hummus