A perfect soup for winter, brothy and creamy at the same time, hearty from rice and sausage. Sausage in soup adds tons of flavor and this soup freezes really well! Perfect for busy holiday days and cold nights.
- 1 pound bulk sausage (we like spicy!)
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat a large soup pot to medium-high with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the sausage and cook until crumbly and brown, breaking it up with a spoon as you go.
- Add the carrot, celery, onion, and garlic to the sausage. Stir to combine and cook the veggies for about 5 minutes. Add the oregano, rosemary, salt, wild rice, stock, and water to the pot. Stir everything together and cover the pot. Reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for about an hour, checking it every 20 minutes, until the rice is cooked through and tender. Each time you stir the soup, taste the broth and add a few pinches of salt as needed.
- When the rice is tender, whisk the cream with the cornstarch to create a slurry. Pour the mixture into the soup and increase the heat to medium-high. Let the soup bubble uncovered for a few minutes to thicken slightly.
- Serve with something green on top, if you'd like. Enjoy!
This is really really good with some 4-ingredient no-knead bread!
I like this with any sausage - chicken or turkey sausage work really well here, or even chorizo for a slightly different flavor profile!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Keywords: wild rice soup, wild rice soup meal prep, sausage soup, sausage in soup, rice soup, gluten free soup recipe