Delicious, simple salmon cakes, tartar sauce with capers, and buttery lettuce leaves to hold everything together. Your new favorite low carb seafood dinner, get after it!
- 15 ounces canned salmon, drained
- zest of 1 lemon (save the lemon and cut it into wedges for serving)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 butter lettuce leaves
Tartar Sauce with Capers
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped drained capers
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika or cayenne (or more!)
- 1 tablespoon dried or fresh chopped dill
- For the salmon cakes, combine all of the ingredients except for the lettuce leaves (duh omg) very gently in a bowl, leaving some large chunks of salmon. Form the mixture into 6 small patties, and place them in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- While the salmon cakes are chilling, make the tartar sauce. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Taste the sauce, and add some more paprika or a few pinches of salt if you'd like.
- When the tartar sauce is done and the salmon cakes are cold, preheat a large skillet (or you can do this in batches) with some olive oil over medium-high heat. When the pan is very hot, carefully add the salmon cakes. Let them sit for 4-5 minutes to crisp, then gently flip them and continue to cook until browned on both sides.
- Serve the salmon cakes in lettuce leaves with the tartar sauce and lemon wedges. Enjoy!
For a gluten free variation, use gluten free breadcrumbs in the salmon patties.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: Salmon cakes, salmon patties, salmon patties sauce, tartar sauce with capers, salmon lettuce wraps