- 2 pints whole cherry tomatoes
- 1 small eggplant, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 yellow squash, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock, plus more if needed
- salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper, to taste
- cooked pasta, cottage cheese, parmesan, and fresh basil, optional, for serving
- Preheat the broiler. Arrange the cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray in a single layer. Use 2 sheets if you need to. Arrange the eggplant, squash, and zucchini on a separate baking sheet in the same way. Working in batches, broil all the veggies for 10-20 minutes until blistered and blackened in spots.
- When the veggies are done, add the chopped onion and 2 tablespoons butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion for 3 minutes to soften slightly, then add the garlic and tomato paste. Stir for 2 minutes, then add the stock and blistered veggies.
- Stir the sauce together and let simmer for 15 minutes to thicken, then add the rest of the butter. Taste, and add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to your preference - season liberally since there are no canned tomatoes in this dish.
- Serve over pasta and with any other accompaniments you enjoy. Eat!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 40
- Serving Size: 4