Lots of them.
I'm sort of ... not that obsessed, but there are some lovely flavors associated with fall, and we can highlight them on roasted veggies! Roasted veggies have such a nice earthy quality ANYWAY, so adding some warm spices make them even more delicious.
For this particular dish, you need potatoes, carrots, pears, Brussels sprouts, olive oil, smoked paprika, allspice, cinnamon, and salt. If you don't have smoked paprika don't freak out, just use regular or skip it and move on with your world. It'll be delicious regardless!
Then, cut the potatoes into similar chunks. We'll cook these first since the pears and Brussels don't need quite as long. I had red potatoes, and love the color combo here, BUT any potatoes would work fine in this dish.
Then, spread the carrots and potatoes on a large baking sheet with parchment paper or LOTS of cooking spray. Roasted veggies tend to stick. Roast the veggies about halfway, for 10 - 15 minutes. We want the edges slightly dark but still some crunch in the carrots and potatoes.
Look how pretty! My total cooking time was about 25 minutes (for both rounds of cooking), but yours might be slightly more or less. The veggies are done when they're....done. Just test them with a fork - if it goes easily through a potato or carrot the rest will be done as well.
Enjoy these! I'm thinking it'd be a really nice addition to a Thanksgiving table, but it's also a great side dish for any night of the week, and you can mix up what veggies you roast! The combination here is a great balance of sweet and bitter, but eggplant, zucchini, butternut squash....they'd all be great in a dish like this.
Shared at Weekend Potluck. Check out all the other great recipes!
Roasted + Spiced Fall Veggies
- 2 large or 4 medium carrots cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 medium red potatoes cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts ends trimmed, cut into halves or quarters if very large
- 2 pears cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 500F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or lots of cooking spray.
- Mix the carrots and potatoes in a bowl with half the olive oil, half of each of the spices, and salt to your preference. Spread on the baking sheet and roast for 10 - 15 minutes until partially cooked.
- Meanwhile, combine the pears and Brussels sprouts with the remaining olive oil, spices, and more salt. Stir to combine. When the potatoes and carrots are partially cooked, add the pears and Brussels to the pan and spread into one even layer.
- Cook for 10 - 15 minutes more, stirring once, until the root veggies are tender and the Brussels sprouts are soft but not mushy. Taste, and sprinkle with extra salt if desired. Enjoy!