Super yummy chicken parmesan deconstructed for a perfect weeknight dinner. No battering, frying, or layering, just tender chicken bites, savory sauce, and cheesy goodness!
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil, salt, pepper
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 15 ounces canned whole tomatoes in their juices
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella pearls (or cubed fresh mozzarella)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 425F and an ovenproof skillet to medium-high heat with some olive oil. When the skillet is hot, add the chicken in one layer. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper, and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the chicken is lightly browned. Add the onion to the skillet.
- Stir the onion with the chicken for two minutes, then add the garlic. Stir the garlic for one minute, then add the tomato sauce and whole tomatoes with their juices. Use your hands or a spoon to crush the tomatoes are you add them to the pan.
- Stir the sauce together with the chicken and taste; add salt and pepper until it is very flavorful. Sprinkle the mozzarella pieces over the sauce, they should sink in slightly. Sprinkle the panko and parmesan over top of the skillet to form a crust.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and the topping is brown.
- Let rest for a few minutes to cool just slightly and serve as desired: with pasta, bread, or salad.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
Keywords: chicken parmesan, weeknight chicken parmesan, healthy chicken parm, easy chicken parm, kid friendly dinners