- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup arborio or other short-grain rice
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock, plus extra water if needed
- 1 can (15 ounces) canned pureed pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Arrange the fennel and apple on a baking sheet in one layer with a sprinkle of salt. Use olive oil, parchment paper, or cooking spray so the veggies don't stick. Roast the apple and fennel for 15 minutes until darkened at the edges.
- Meanwhile, make the risotto. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes to soften slightly. Add the garlic and rice and cook for 3 minutes more, stirring, to coat the rice in the butter and let it toast slightly. One cup at a time, add stock to the skillet and stir until it's all incorporated. Repeat for about 20 minutes, then taste the rice - it should be mostly cooked.
- When the rice is nearly cooked, add the pumpkin and chopped sage. Keep adding chicken stock and stirring until it's all absorbed until the rice is fully cooked - you'll use 4-6 cups of stock and water, total. When the rice is cooked through and creamy, add the parmesan and remaining butter. Stir everything together and taste the risotto; add salt to your preference.
- Serve the risotto topped with the roasted vegetables and extra parm. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Serving Size: 4