Slightly spicy Pimento Cheese with just a few easy ingredients! This is one of our favorite cold appetizers for holiday parties or tailgating!
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 4 ounces (one small jar) chopped jarred pimentos, drained
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha, Texas Pete, or other hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or seasoned salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir gently to combine the seasonings without mushing the cheese too much.
- Taste, and adjust the seasonings or spice level to your preference. If the pimento cheese seems very dry, add a tiny bit more sour cream and mayo, in equal amounts, to achieve a texture you like.
- Serve with crackers, on sandwiches, or with veggies for dipping. Devour!
I love love love this on its own with crackers, but it is REALLY yummy with something sweet such as apple slices or green tomato jam. Balance your flavors, man!
Pimento cheese keeps well in the fridge for at least a week.
Grated Cheese: Bagged cheese is usually coated with an anti-caking agent to help the shreds stay separate in the bag. This isn’t a bad thing, but it takes away a bit from the cheddar flavor and also makes it harder for the cheese to melt. If at all possible, grate your own cheese for this (and most) recipe. Use any cheddar cheese you enjoy – for me, the sharper the better.
Sour Cream and Mayo: This recipe makes a moderately creamy pimento cheese – not too goopy, not too dry. If you prefer a more dry (mostly cheese, less binder) pimento cheese, reduce the sour cream and mayo quantities to ¼ cup each.
Hot Sauce: I love cayenne hot sauce in pimento cheese – think Frank’s, Tabasco, etc. But, other hot sauces such as sriracha add a really nice depth of flavor. Play around with hot sauce, and use ½ tablespoons of two different types if you’d like. For additional spice, add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to the mixture.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: spicy pimento cheese, pimento cheese recipes, recipe for pimento cheese, what is pimento cheese, pimento cheese homemade, homemade pimento cheese, pimento cheese easy recipe