Favorite homemade pimento cheese (a little spicy!), quick and easy smash burgers in a cast iron skillet, all together in one epic sandwich. These are the BEST burgers for burger night!
Homemade Pimento Cheese
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 4 ounces (one small) chopped jarred pimentos, drained
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (Texas Pete, Frank’s, Sriracha, anything you like)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Pimento Cheese Burgers
- 1 pound ground beef, 80/20 or similar
- Salt for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter for cooking, plus more for buns
- 4 burger buns or large rolls
- 8 tablespoons cold pimento cheese
- Lettuce and pickles for serving
- Combine all the ingredients gently, then taste. Add more hot sauce or even a sprinkle of cayenne pepper if you'd like.
- I make this pimento cheese a few days in advance as meal prep if I know I'm going to have these burgers during the week!
Pimento Cheese Burgers
- Gently form the ground beef into 4 even patties, just slightly larger than the buns you are using. Sprinkle the burger patties all over generously with salt.
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet to medium heat. If you’d like (this is optional), spread the insides of the burger buns with butter and lightly toast them in the skillet before cooking the burgers, then set aside.
- When all toppings, buns, and any side dishes are ready, cook the burgers. Add the butter to the skill and sear the burgers for about 4 minutes on the first side, then flip once browned. As soon as the burgers are flipped, top each with about two tablespoons of pimento cheese, allowing it to soften slightly while the burger finishes cooking.
- Continue to cook the burger just for another minute or two on the second side (don’t flip it again once the pimento cheese is there) until the burger is cooked to your preference.
- Layer the burger buns with lettuce, pickles, and a pimento cheeseburger. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Feel free to top these any way you'd like, but bread and butter pickles with the spicy pimento cheese are really, really nice.
Pimento cheese lasts in the fridge for about a week.
As-is, the pimento cheese and burgers are gluten free. Use gluten free buns to make this gluten-friendly!
These burgers are best eaten right away. If you think you'll have leftovers, store the cooked burger patties and pimento cheese separately, then build burgers when you'd like to eat.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cast iron skillet burger, cast iron skillet burgers, pimento cheeseburgers, pimento cheese burgers, spicy pimento cheese, homemade pimento cheese, pimento cheese without cream cheese