The problem with getting home around nine every night is that you want to still hang out and eat dinner and do fun things BUT then you end up staying up past eleven which is WAY TOO LATE and then you don't want to get up to go to work.
So, to reward ourselves for making it to work every day this week like big kids, let's have beef and peppers covered in cheese with pickled jalapenos, ok?
They're good, and GREAT for parties. You'll love these!
The ingredients are super simple. You could use any sliced steak, but I really like cube steak for this. It's super cheap and always tender so...why not? You also need butter, green pepper, worcestershire sauce, and seasoned salt. Easy stuff!
For the bread, any small dinner rolls or slider rolls will do just fine. I had some whole wheat rolls leftover in the freezer, and they were great for this! If you like spice even a LITTLE bit, you're definitely going to want some pickled jalapeno slices for topping. They add a ton of flavor to the rich meat and cheese - definitely go for it.
Now, I cook the meat and the peppers separately, the combine them at the end to fill the sandwiches. Let's start with the meat! Heat some butter in a pan to medium-high heat - we want a really nice sear on the beef. Then, thinly slice the cube steak. When the pan is SUPER DUPER hot, add the meat and sprinkle it with seasoned salt and several dashes of worcestershire. Let the meat sit and sizzle for a few minutes, then flip it until it's brown on all sides.
While the meat is cooking, thinly slice half the pepper into 2 inch or so strips. Toss it in the still-hot pan with all the juices, and sprinkle it with seasoned salt and worcestershire sauce. Toss the pepper around for a few minutes until it becomes soft and slightly charred on the edges. Then, add back in the meat and turn off the heat. Stir the meat together with the pepper, and we're ready to assemble our sliders!
- 1 pound cube steak, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 16 split slider or dinner rolls
- 4 deli slices provolone cheese, cut into quarters
- pickled jalapenos, for topping
- Preheat the broiler. Split the rolls, then toast them under the broiler for 3 minutes until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large skillet to medium-high heat with the butter. Add the beef, worcestershire, and seasoned salt in one even layer - you may need to cook the meat in batches. Let the beef brown and cook for 3 - 5 minutes until no longer pink on the edges, then remove to a plate to rest.
- In the same pan with all the meat drippings, add the sliced bell pepper and cook for 3 - 5 minutes until soft and slightly charred. Add the beef back into the pan to combine with the bell pepper. Turn off the skillet.
- To assemble, spoon a bit of the beef mixture into each slider bun. Top with a piece of cheese. Broil for 2 more minutes until the cheese is just melted, then top with jalapeno slices right before serving.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Serving Size: 4
Shared at Weekend Potluck!