I need to share with you a side dish that would be, like, totes perfect with this here ginger chicken we made the other day.
Totes perfect, I'm telling you.
Also, it's vegetarian and cooks in 10 minutes and is DEEEEELICIOUS.
I love Asian-style meals with lots of veggies and a super flavorful protein like this grilled tofu, and this side dish is great with ANY components of a meal like that.
You need oyster mushrooms (one package is enough for two people plus leftovers), lots of scallions, miso, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and butter. The butter is sort of key but....if you want to make this vegan you can substitute a cooking oil of your choice.
When the skillet is hot and the butter is foamy, add the mushrooms in a single layer and LET THEM SIT. Mushrooms browned in butter are super duper delicious, and the brown happens when they have a minute or two to sit in the butter.
After 2 minutes, flip the mushrooms and add the whites of the onions. Stir them together for one more minute. We want the onions to slightly soften but not cook the mushrooms to death - they're really delicate and cook quickly.
Finally, add the miso sauce and the onion greens. Stir everything together and turn the heat off- the almost sweetness of the mushrooms with the sharp nearly-raw scallion is the contrast we're looking for, and we lose that if the scallions overcook.
That's it! A REALLY easy side dish that is incredibly delicious with any Asian-style meal. You can of course use any mushrooms you like, or add other veg like thin green beans - vary the recipe according to your tastes.
Enjoy this one!
Oyster Mushrooms and Scallions with Miso
- 1 package oyster mushrooms
- 1 large or 2 small bunches scallions thickly sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat while you prep the scallions and separate chunks of the mushrooms. Mix the miso, vinegar, and soy sauce together to form a thick sauce.
- When the butter foams, add the mushrooms to the pan in a single layer. Leave them to brown for 2 minutes, then flip them and add the scallion whites. Stir the scallions and mushrooms for 1 minute.
- Add the scallion greens and miso paste to the pan. Stir to coat everything evenly, then turn off the heat and serve.
- Sub any mushrooms you like, and of course double or triple the recipe to your liking - this is really variable and delicious!
Shared at Weekend Potluck!