- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt, to taste
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella pearls or cubed mozzarella
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 whole scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked to package directions
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Halve the pepper and remove the seeds, stems, and ribs. Place the pepper cut side up in a baking dish and bake for 10 minutes to soften slightly.
- Meanwhile, make the meat filling. Heat a large skillet to medium heat with a spritz or drizzle of olive oil. Add the turkey, and brown for 7 or so minutes until nearly completely cooked through, using a spoon to crumble it.
- Add the tomato paste, garlic, and allspice with a sprinkle of salt to the meat mixture. Stir, and add 1 - 3 tablespoons of water to form a light sauce if your meat is very dry. Turn off the stove and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Add the rice, scallion, pine nuts, and cheese to the meat mixture. Stir to combine and taste - add more salt to your preference.
- Heap the filling into the slightly cooked peppers. Top with the parmesan cheese. Return to the oven and bake for 10 - 15 minutes until cheese is melted and topping is browned.
- While the peppers are baking, tear or thinly slice the basil. Stir half the basil into prepared warmed marinara.
- To serve, spoon some marinara on a plate. Top with a pepper half, and top THAT with more fresh basil. Enjoy!
- You can make this entire dish right up until the last baking - keep them covered in the fridge and then bake whenever you'd like to eat them!
- Serving Size: 2