Gluten free chocolate cake! This BLENDER CAKE (yep) is made with quinoa and tastes just like a gooey brownie with decadent chocolate ganache frosting.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cups heavy cream
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare a springform pan with parchment paper fitted between the base and the ring (see picture). Spray with cooking spray.
- Cake: Add the cake ingredients in order (liquids first) to a high speed blender. Blend until very smooth and you can hardly see any quinoa bits.
- Bake: Bake the cake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick or tester comes out clean. Remove from the oven to cool for at least 5 minutes in the pan, or leave in the pan to cool completely if not using a springform.
- Chocolate Ganache Frosting: While the cake is cooling, place the chocolate chips in a small mixing bowl and bring the heavy cream to a simmer over medium heat in a small pot. When the cream simmers, pour it over the chocolate chips and let it sit for 1 minute.
- Stir the cream and chocolate chips together until smooth and glossy, then let the chocolate ganache cool for about 5 minutes until smooth and pourable but thick. Pour into the center of the cake until it spreads right to the very edges.
- Chill: Place the cooled cake in the fridge for 2-4 hours until completely cool and the ganache is firm. Slice carefully and serve. OMG.
I use leftover quinoa for this often! Just be sure to use plain quinoa, not cooked in chicken stock or similar.
Use any kind of milk you like for this recipe.
If you don't use kosher salt, table salt or sea salt work great - use 1/4 teaspoon instead as the weight and saltiness are slightly different.
If the ganache spreads too quickly and you don't want it to run over the edges of the cake (just an appearance thing), stop pouring and let the cake chill for 10 minutes, then pour on more ganache, repeating this as necessary until you use it all.
This recipe is adapted from The Kitchen McCabe.
Keywords: Chocolate quinoa cake, gluten free cake, gluten free chocolate cake, gluten free cake recipe, how to make chocolate ganache, chocolate ganache frosting, blender cake