All things that I like to use to describe my rainy Monday foods, you know? It's supposed to rain here for the next 6 days, and was 67 and sunny yesterday just to really drive the point home that we don't control the weather. Mean weather.
I'm always looking for new things to make for my veg-head husband, AND I'm always looking for things that keep well in the fridge to send with him for lunches. This soup does BOTH, and is super delicious too.
Plus. Rosemary CROUTONS. It has to happen - we need to balance out the healthy somehow, right?
You need frozen spinach, garlic, butter, a lemon (just the zest, actually), stock, heavy cream, and rosemary bread. Preferably leftover, preferably cut into cubes. No rosemary bread? Any kind you like, then.
First, you'll want to microwave the spinach to thaw it, zest the lemon, and mince the garlic. When the spinach has thawed wring it out in a kitchen towel. We don't want too much spinach liquid in the soup!
When the soup is pureed, return it to the heat to boil for just a minute or two, then stir in the cream. Taste the soup, and add as much salt and pepper as you'd like - do this at the end especially if your stock has salt.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed leftover rosemary bread, or any kind of bread you like
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 10 ounce boxes frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- zest of 1 lemon
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- FOR THE CROUTONS
- Heat half the butter with the bread cubes over medium-low heat. Stir the bread occasionally for 15 minutes or so until the croutons are golden and crunchy.
- FOR THE SOUP
- Add half the butter to a soup pot with the garlic over medium heat. When the garlic is fragrant, after about 1 minute, add the spinach, lemon zest, and stock. Stir to combine and heat through, then puree the soup until very smooth. Add the cream and bring to a simmer. Taste, and add salt and pepper to your preference.
- Serve the soup with croutons. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Serving Size: 6