DIY taco meat with no seasoning packet, just tons of flavor and simple spices. This is done in just a few minutes and is perfect on tacos, nachos, salads, and burritos.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat with the oil and butter. When the skillet is hot, add the beef and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking it up with a spoon as you go.
- Add all of the spices to the skillet and stir to combine for 2 minutes. Pause between stirring to allow the beef and spices to toast together.
- Add the water to the skillet and let reduce until there is just a bit of sauce left in the skillet. Taste the beef and season additionally with any of the spices as desired.
- Serve in tacos, burritos, over rice, or with salads. Excessive toppings encouraged. Enjoy!
This method is delicious with ground turkey, pork, or chicken. Try all and see which you like best!
I often make a double batch of this taco meat and freeze half for later. Thaw in the fridge overnight, and serve with burrito bowls for a quick weeknight dinner option.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: How To Cook Ground Beef, Mexican Ground Beef, Taco Meat Leftovers,