This gluten free black beans and rice recipe has just 8 ingredients and is done in about half an hour! I love rice and beans for a quick vegetarian dinner, and make these black beans in advance often for an even faster meal-prepped dinner. PS Cajun seasoning is a fabulous ingredient to keep around!
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning, plus more as needed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed or diced tomatoes
- ½ cup stock (any kind!)
- Cooked rice and sliced green onions, optional, for serving
- Preheat a medium skillet (10 inches or so) or small pot to medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add the garlic and Cajun seasoning and stir for 30 seconds until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and stock to the pan. Let come to a bubble and reduce the heat until the mixture is bubbling but not boiling aggressively. Let simmer for about 20 minutes until reduced and thickened.
- Taste the mixture and add more Cajun seasoning, salt, or hot sauce until the black beans taste great to you. Serve over rice with green onions for garnish. Enjoy!
My Cajun seasoning has salt in it, so I don’t add extra salt to this dish. If your seasoning blend doesn’t have salt, start with ½ teaspoon and add more until the dish tastes wonderful to you.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, and vegan if veggie stock is used. Always check labels for hidden gluten if that’s something you need to avoid.
Keywords: Black beans and rice, recipes with black beans and rice, black beans and rice recipe, recipe for black beans and rice, rice and beans, rice and beans recipe, rice and beans easy recipe