Featuring just five ingredients, this pared down version of eggplant parm is vegetarian, low carb, and comes together in just 15 minutes of prep and an hour of baking. Easy, healthy, and delicious!
- 3 cups marinara, any kind you like
- 1 large eggplant, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. I use this round Staub braiser, but anything that holds 3-5 quarts and is similar to a 9x13 baking dish in volume will work.
- Layer the dish in the following order: 1/3 of the marinara, half of the eggplant slices, scattered to form an even layer, sprinkle of salt and pepper, half the mozzarella. Then repeat: 1/3 marinara, other half of the eggplant, salt and pepper, rest of the mozzarella.
- Top the dish with the rest of the marinara, the panko, and parmesan cheese.
- Bake the eggplant parmesan at 375F for one hour, covered except for the last 15 minutes. The dish is done when bubbly throughout and very soft through the center. Let the dish rest for 5 minutes before scooping into shallow bowls for serving. Enjoy!
Here is my favorite homemade marinara, but use any kind you like! I often make a double batch and use some for the week ahead, freeze some, and use some in a baked dish like this.
Make ahead: This can be assembled in advance and kept in the fridge for a few days, then baked right before you want to eat it.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Italian